ASPLEY General Practice Clinic is inviting all patients with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes to attend a clinic, aimed at improving their understanding and control of their condition.
Patients begin by attending an initial consultation where their Diabetes Cycle of Care will be completed and 6 months after that, will come back for a review and other items e.g. ABI Doppler and ECG, GPMP/TCA and Allied Health referrals.
Diabetes Cycle of Care
- Measure HbA1c to assess diabetes control – Once every year
- Carry out a comprehensive eye examination (Optometrist/Ophthalmologist) – Once every two years
- Measure weight and height and calculate BMI – Twice every cycle of care (every 6 months)
- Measure blood pressure – Twice every cycle of care (every 6 months)
- Examine feet – Twice every cycle of care (every 6 months)
- Measure total cholesterol, triglycerides and HDL cholesterol – Once every year
- Test for microalbuminuria and perform ECG and ABI Doppler – Once every year
Facts about Diabetes
- 280 Australians develop diabetes every day
- Over 100,000 Australians have developed diabetes in the past year.
- Diabetes is the fastest growing chronic condition in Australia
Almost 1.1 million Australians currently have diagnosed diabetes. This includes:
- 120,000 people with Type 1 Diabetes
- 956,000 people with Type 2 Diabetes
- 23,600 women with Gestational Diabetes
- For every person diagnosed with diabetes there is usually a family member or carer who also ‘lives with diabetes’ every day in a support role.
- This means that an estimated 2.2 million Australians are affected by diabetes every day.
- The total number of Australians with diabetes and pre-diabetes is estimated at 3.2 million
- Indigenous Australians are 3 times more likely to have type 2 diabetes compared with non-Indigenous Australians
- At least 2 million Australians have pre-diabetes and are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Call our reception: (07) 3263 9951 to book or to ask any further questions. Our current diabetic patients will also receive an invitation to attend our clinics in the mail, so keep an eye out!