A crown is a type of restoration which completely encircles or caps the tooth or an implant. Crowns restore the shape, size and strength of a tooth and are also used to help improve its appearance.
Why is a crown needed?
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking.
- To cover and support a broken tooth.
- Protect a tooth with a large filling in it when there isn’t much tooth remaining.
- To hide discolorations on teeth and misshapen teeth.
- As a permanent restoration after Root Canal Treatment.
- As a part of a bridge.
- To cover and protect a cracked tooth.
A bridge is used to replace one or more missing teeth. Missing teeth result in gaps, which cause the surrounding teeth to rotate and try to shift into these empty spaces. This results in a change in your bite which can lead to gum disease and imbalances in your jaw joint. Hence it is important to replace missing teeth as soon as practicable. A bridge is one of the ways of replacing missing teeth.
We will discuss and recommend the various options available to replace your missing teeth at your appointment, so as to properly and fully understand and address your specific needs.